Every year I encourage my kids to enter the Reflections contest. They
have always been good to try. I think it's a fun way to encourage
them. But - it can also become a hard life lesson as well!
This year Eric won in his age division at the school level. He thought that was pretty awesome. He's not one to jump up and down and get all excited - he just put the trophy on his dresser and hasn't said a word since. But he beams when you ask him about it. ;) I know he's happy - he just doesn't show it all that much. He's a very introverted boy.

Abby has entered the contest every year, and has never won anything but a participation ribbon. Every year brings many tears - and a broken heart. She has now done this for 5 years in a row! She's had many well meaning people tell her to try different categories, or to enter more than one. And she's taken their advice...and still comes away empty handed. Now - I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that - because there isn't. It's life. It is really hard to be the parent and watch your child be so disappointed! But - I have seen so much growth in Abby since Kindergarten Reflections. When she found out she lost in Kindergarten, she cried the whole day at school - literally sobbed. They finally called and asked if I would come pick her up. Every year, she has learned a little more to control her emotion of disappointment. It's still really hard for her - but she is learning to at least pretend to be happy for others while feeling quite down herself. And I'm so happy that she'll keep trying - that means a lot to me.
It doesn't help that Eric has now won two years in a row.... :) It's hard to be happy for your sibling - but I'm so proud of Abby for trying.
No comments:
Post a Comment