Be not afraid, only believe.  From Creative LDS Images on facebook

May 4, 2008

birthday cake

I've been dying to use this new cupcake cake pan that I bought a few weeks back. I finally got the opportunity to use my creative juices to make a cake for Lance's birthday...and not just any cake, an ice cream cake. At first I wasn't sure I could do it, I've never made one before, but after doing a little research on the internet about DQ ice cream cakes, I felt a little more confident. So, here's how I did it....First, I sprayed my cake pan with oil and lined the bottom with wax paper. Then I softened three quarts of ice cream. I layered some ice cream on the bottom of the pan, then using my hands molded some to the sides of the pan, creating a shell.

Then I made layers of cut up candy bars and homemade fudge and crushed oreo cookies and also alternating chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Then I refroze the cake pan overnight. I must have been a little nervous as how it would turn out because I had many dreams about it melting all night!


This morning I took out the very frozen ice cream and tried to get it out of the pan. It wouldn't budge, so I put it in a little hot water to melt it a little and then it slid right out. I placed the top of the cupcake on the bottom half and then I created a frosting to put on top. I created my own mixture of half whipped topping and half Dicks frosting. It tasted divine!
And there you have it... two cupcake ice cream cakes. I had so much fun doing it, I can't wait to make another!!!! :) Here is a shot of how they looked cut in half.

7 comments:

Sharla said...

Wow!! You are truly an inspiration. I have been asked to bring a dessert to a family party this weekend. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be brave and try something new.

Lisa and Lance said...

And yes, they did taste as good as they look! You did awesome Maria! Thanks!

Heather said...

YUM, I want one!!! You are so good Maria.

Girls Rule said...

maria, I am totally impressed. I want one for my bday. How adventuresome you are

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ri!! That is super impressive. What a fun idea. You are the cake queen!

The Tilley Turf said...

Yum, that looks so good! Wish I could have been there to have some, did you save me a piece?

Erica said...

YUMMY!!! Can you make one for my birthday :)