Be not afraid, only believe.  From Creative LDS Images on facebook

Apr 13, 2009

SUGAR FAST

Today is the first day of my sugar fast. My sister and I decided we would encourage each other to try and cut out some sugar in our diets. We decided to start the day after Easter, just to be sure to get a good start! LOL.. Just in the last few days I've had many other people in my family want to do it as well. So, come join us! :)

Now, don't think I am going to get all granola-e and health fanatic-e, I don't have the will power to do anything crazy enough like cut out every ounce of sugar in my life...oh no! I have the weakest will power there is when it comes to candy. That is why I'm doing this sugar fast. I have to train myself to not crave sugar. I AM A SUGAR ADDICT. There, the first step to recovery is admitting the problem, right? So, I know I have this addiction to sugar and I let myself just devour anything in sight with sugar. My body says I NEED it and I just believe it. My body says it will make me less tired, it will energize me, you know, give me that extra boost in the middle of the day. But I'm coming to find that my body has been lying to me. All it does is make me want more...and it never gives me energy and it definitely doesn't make me feel any better, in fact - I feel more sluggish and yucky. So, that's why I decided it was time to do something.

Now, if you read this blog, I'm sorry for the long epistle...I have to write things out, or it never happens. So you might hear more about this little sugar fast than you ever wanted to. You can skip these posts, most likely they will be boring...and mostly just ranting, raving and craving... but if you are like me, I need support and motivation. If everyone knows I'm trying to cut out sugar... then I am more likely going to try and keep up my image and not get caught :) You know how that goes? Kind of like I try to run faster at the gym because someone I know might see me!

I am not a healthy eater, in fact one of the main reasons I exercise is so I can eat things I really like...such as chocolate, white bread, cream cheese, gummy candy and all those other delicious things that life has to offer. But I'm sick of being tired all the time and having my addiction to sugar control me. I don't want to cut out sugar the rest of my life -NO WAY- but I do want to be able to tell my body when I can have it instead of my body telling me I HAVE to have it now. So, until I gain a little more control over my cravings... I will be doing this sugar fast. There is one day I can look forward to -Sunday- because that day I have set aside for a free day. It might sound like a binge day to some...and yes, the first couple of Sundays most likely will be. In fact I have a whole stash of Easter treats I had to hide for the week that I am really already craving...and I can't wait until Sunday to devour them! But what I am hoping is that if I am faithful during the week, my body will feel the difference it can make to cut down on sugar and then by Sunday I won't want to feel that sluggish feeling that I get after eating a ton of sugar, and so hopefully I will be able to wean myself off Sundays as well at some point. Having Sunday's free is also a good way to keep myself in control because I can't go buy something at the store. :)

So, come RANT, RAVE AND CRAVE with me if you would like. You know there is STRENGTH IN NUMBERS, so the more the merrier. Are you in? (you can be as strict or as liberal with your sugar fast as you want to be)
Oh, and just for craving sake... I won these cinnamon bunnies at our Bradley Easter Party... oh -don't they look so chewy and savory?? :) They will have to hide in my closet until Sunday...

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I should join you! I think I gained way too much weight when I had Karlee ha ha I miss making cinnamon rolls with you though :) Those were yummy!!

Maria Bradley said...

Hey, I still make them just about every fast Sunday... :) you should come over and enjoy them with us!

Tammy said...

You make them every fast sunday?? It's a good thing I didn't know that sooner - your rolls are AMAZING! Good luck on your sugar fast, I think that's so great, for you. :) I once did no chocolate for an entire year, just to see if I could. It's good to exercise our will power. I think I'm going to join you on your fast... after the Easter candy is gone. :)