Chris' pumpkin
Eric's pumpkin (he drew it - I carved it, it is a transformer)
Abby's pumpkin - don't you love the eye lashes and hair??!!
Our Halloween weekend started with quite a SCARE! Andrew has been irritable all week - running a fever off and on, cranky, won't sleep... I thought it was first from the shots he got on Monday - and when it kept up until Thursday I thought he must be getting this horrible cold I have. Friday morning, after a rather sleepless night, I decided to be the overprotective mom and just take him in. That way I wouldn't be taking him to instacare over the weekend.
I was hesitant - knowing they would just tell me to take him home and put on the humidifier and give him some Tylenol...but I took him anyhow - something just bothered me about the way he'd been acting all week.
As I told the doctor his symptoms, she examined him. When she touched his soft spot she just looked at me funny. I had noticed it was more squishy and full on Thursday- but had no idea what that could mean, it didn't mean anything to me. But immediately the doctor told me I needed to get Andrew to Primary Children's hospital. I was scared when she started using big words like - meningitis, ambulance, death, severe complications, tumor, immediate... you know those words that just echo in your non-functioning mind from lack of sleep. It just all jumbled together and I just felt like falling apart and crying. So - my mom had my other kids and my mother in law came to the ER with me (they didn't want me to drive alone - they said just in case something happens to Andrew and I wouldn't know - but I think it was more for a calming effect for me).
We spent 7 LONG hours in the ER at Primary Children's Hospital. Andrew went through 2 cat scans (the first one had a spot of interest that they needed to investigate) a spinal tap and on top of all that - they wouldn't let him eat anything. That was painful for the both of us! Everything came back clear - they gave him antibiotics for an acute ear infection (meaning an ear infection that was either JUST starting or they were just giving me something to come home with so I didn't feel like I had wasted the last 7 hours of my life)...
As I went to bed last night - I kept wondering - Did I do the right thing? I mean -it ended up being nothing, and I feel like I wasted so much time... and am I too overprotective? I just wish I could be validated for caring - maybe that's just what I need - Have you ever felt like that? Please say you have! I'm not the only over protective mom am I? Plus - I wasn't taking him to the ER in the first place - it was on a doctor recommendation... so I am not the only over protective one out there right?? And I have to consider if it was meningitis like a lot of the signs were pointing to - it was better safe than dead right????? I really beat myself up about the whole thing last night. Why is it that when your kids end up being safer than you thought you suddenly feel foolish for worrying? Isn't that what being a mom is all about? arghhh... help!
Now for the Halloween treat -
Well - thankfully this morning - Andrew is acting MUCH better - his soft spot has gone back to normal size, and he's acting happier. He still does favor one ear while feeding, but the antibiotics should take care of that - hopefully soon. The kids were so excited to go out trick or treating!
Abby is Pocahontas, Eric is the HULK, and Andrew is a warm fuzzy reindeer.We went to the local grocery store 'trunk or treat' to get things started early - which was good because now it's raining!
We took Andrew to the grocery store festivities - but now he's home snug in bed while the older kids get soaked in the rain with their dad! (what a good husband I have!!) And I can update the blog while I answer the door!!
So - all in all - it's been a good Halloween this year - even with the trick that Andrew tried to pull on us - I'm glad he's just a treat now! It really scared me to think how fast life can change - give your kids a great big squeeze after you read this and tell them that you love them. You never know what tomorrow might bring!
6 years ago





6 comments:
I can relate! I always hate taking my kids only to hear "it's just a virus." Ugh. But sometimes you have to be safe. How scary that must've been for you! So glad he's fine.
I'm so glad he's okay! We've been sending lots of prayers your way. Glad you've had a fun Halloween!
Wow! I don't even know what to say. I wish I had known so my thoughts could have been with you guys earlier this weekend. I'm sooo glad that everything was fine and don't ever think you're being so over protective! (Although I do all the time also.) I've been wondering if I should take Hailey in for a couple of problems she's been having. You're scary story makes me think that I really should just to be sure.
How scary! That does not sound like a fun day. I can't even imagine how hard that would be. I"m sure glad he is doing better! I took McKaylee to the doctor for a stupid cold...it's hard to not be overprotective. Babies are so little and seem to vulnerable...a peace of mind is worth more than a $25 co-pay in my mind. We are so so so glad little Andrew is ok.
Glad everything is ok with Andrew! Lori told me about it the other day, I had no idea! I am sorry, a day at the hospital is NEVER fun. At least you got to take him home and he is fine. I think you did the right thing, I would have done that. You just never know there is so much scary illnesses out there. See you guys SOON!!!!!! :)
Nah you aren't over protective :) I would have done the same thing. I waited when karlee was sick and ended up calling 911 and spending hours at primarys also. You are a good mommy!! Glad you guys have a good Halloween!!
Post a Comment