I think I have the right to say we've had enough sickness at our house...it's time for it to go away!!! Our pediatrician knows me by name...that is never a good sign! I can't believe how often we have been there - from Abby having strep, Andrew going to the ER, and now this...whatever it is... (Eric is always there at the doctor with me, and believe me, he stays really really quiet and just hopes he blends into the wall - I think he's afraid he's next!)
Anyhow... Andrew got this rash all over his body on Sunday, and I finally took him in on Tuesday to get it checked out.It didn't start out looking like this. It started on Saturday night - a few spots on the back of his neck. It looked like he was having an allergic reaction to something - but it was just a few spots the shape of mosquito bites - that's what they looked like except without the bump. I thought they'd just go away. By Sunday morning (and a sleepless night) his whole stomach was BRIGHT red with spots, not like these splotchy spots, but real distinct spots. It looked like he had hives all over his stomach and the back of his neck. He had just finished his antibiotic on Sunday morning, so we thought perhaps he'd had an allergic reaction to that.
On Monday, his spots had spread to his legs, and more on his chest and back. But they were different looking. They were more like these splotches instead of distinct spots. Monday night he started running a fever. That's when I didn't know if I should be worried or not! His splotches kept spreading and some started looking like targets - red white red.. So - Tuesday I took him in. This is what he looked like Tuesday.
When I took him in, the doctor asked about all the symptoms. She thinks he could have Erythema multiforme. Sounds bad anyhow - but basically it's a viral infection that affects the skin. It could be a form of allergic reaction to his antibiotic, or from a different source. There really isn't a way to tell, unless a skin biopsy is done. Ya- glad we didn't have to do that! The doctor said it will probably get worse looking before getting better. NO FUN! She also said there is nothing they can do for the little guy - it just has to run it's course. I can give him pain medication and antihistamine for the itch. Unless the rash turns to blisters, bruises or his joints swell - it really isn't serious. But - looking at him, you would think he has a serious disease going on. After doing some research online, I wouldn't be surprised if it was erythema infectiosum. Which is also called 5th disease. But the doctor thinks it's the first one - so there's really no way to tell at this point. Either way - it's not too serious if it just stays at this stage - and that's good!
This is what he looks like today - it has spread to his face! The poor little guy looks like I beat him up. I didn't think the rash itched, but now that it is on his face, I think it does or always has, I'm not sure. But now he digs at his face and rubs his eyes all the time.Today his back is much worse looking as well. It is really just spreading everywhere
My poor little Andrew - I'm so sorry!!! We've done a LOT of holding, rocking and comforting this week. He just doesn't want me to put him down. That's ok - when his is so miserable, I wouldn't want him to be alone in his misery :)
I'll keep you posted if anything changes! Or maybe I'll just post some more pictures of where the rash travels tomorrow... maybe it will be gone, I can always hope!
6 years ago





5 comments:
Holy cow Maria!! This is horrible! I am so sorry, for both of you. It looks so itchy, no wonder he's been so miserable. I wish I knew what it was or how to help! Let me know if you need anything!
Poor Andrew!!! I'm so sorry!! That sounds awful. I hope he gets better soon. Keep us posted (ha ha).
Oh my goodness, that is the saddest thing ever! Poor Andrew! And poor you, I am sure you are not getting anything done! Hopefully it will just run its course and he will be over it soon. Good luck! Let us know if we can do anything to help!
Ooo...I am so sorry for little Andrew. My skin itches just looking at the pictures. I hope he really does get better soon.
Hope he is getting some relief! Poor little man! Sierrah and Richard had 5th disease when I was pregnant w/ Hunter. It looked NOTHING like that. It was a light webby rash on their arms and legs that lasted about a day or so. I noticed it when we were done swimming one day. I called the doctor and described it. Didn't even have to go into the office. They had no other symptoms with it. Most people get 5th disease and don't even realize they have had it. I had to get ultrasounds once a week the last month of my pregnancy, I guess it can cause pre-term labor?? Maybe my kids had a lighter case if it is 5th disease??
Post a Comment