Eric and Andrew just had checkups this last week - I think it actually helped that we took both of them at the same time. I did have Chris' help though - otherwise those shots would NOT have gone well!
If you know Eric, you will understand that him not having a melt down at the doctors office is quite the feat this year. He actually stood on the scale, let them take his height, and peed in a cup - without a fight! WOW. He even let me put on the gown they gave us for his check up. Without crying! Ya - I was so impressed. He has come a LONG way since last years check up. He even let them give him four shots without crying - he did say it hurt...but he didn't cry out in sheer terror (that comes later)...
His stats - he's almost perfectly square - 42 pounds and 41.5 inches tall. He's a little stocky and short - but - I'm not too worried! He is a healthy boy - except for his eczema. It has really gotten out of control this summer. We can't seem to get it to stop itching him and bothering him. It's been really bad. Well - the doctor looked at it and said it had a staff infection in it. So, we started on a topical antibiotic to try and kill the staff infection. She also recommended Clorox baths, and keeping the skin as moist as possible with aquaphor or other salves.
Then she recommended we see an allergist, to see if some kind of food or other allergy was triggering the reaction. So - this last Monday we went to see this allergist. Eric was tested for Asthma and allergies to see if there was a connection to his eczema. Have you ever had an allergy test? Ok - so I don't know of a worse torture to put a 5 year old through!!! First - he was scared in the first place of all the unknowns that I couldn't explain what they were going to do to him, then they have me hold him facing the doctor, with his shirt off. They wrote the numbers 1-20 on his back (that was hard enough), then they prick him with 20 different allergens to see what his body will react to. Then, they tell him to sit there for 5 minutes and not touch his back. Seriously - this is some kind of child torture!! You could almost instantly tell which numbers he was allergic to - because they became big welts and got all red. He was squirming in my arms, crying to make it stop. He was not a happy camper at this point. They did figure out that he was allergic to animals - cats and dogs being the worse, horses next. I had already thought this would be the case, because I've seen him get puffy eyes after playing with a cat or dog. But- it's always nice to get a confirmation.
They also did an asthma test. This one was much more child friendly. They had him breathe in a tube and on the computer screen he was the wolf trying to blow the three little pigs house down. Ya - he loved that test. Then they gave him a puff from an inhaler and take the test again to see if the results improve. And yes, he does have asthma. This doctor also said that the eczema staff infection wouldn't go away without an oral antibiotic. So - we came home with three more prescriptions... (thank heaven for good insurance). So, now we have to figure out how to deal with his asthma and allergies. He's very afraid of using the inhaler - terrified would be a better word! So - any advice on that would be helpful! I don't think he will have to use it too often, but at least we know why he can't breathe after he plays outside all day, and why he comes home from playing with animals coughing and with swollen eyes. All in all - it's good to be informed of what is going on. And hopefully we'll get this eczema under control. We are still unsure if either of the asthma or allergies are affecting the eczema, but the doctor did say that there are a lot of patients that have all three together -it's not too uncommon.
As for Andrew... well - he's still not on the charts yet. (except his big head! I think that's the only thing he's growing right now). He's 18.1 pounds, and 28 inches tall. But - he's healthy and now walking EVERYWHERE. It is SO fun to see him walking around. I love his cute little toddle. I just adore this age. He got his shots too - but he gave us a good cry, unlike Eric. We had to go get Slurpees after to make everyone feel better!
Can you believe he is 15 months old? I can't believe how fast time is moving right along. I don't know if I want my babies to grow up!!! 
I made a key lime pie on Sunday - and Andrew thought it was delicious!! Even if he did smear half of the piece all over his high chair!I'll update Abby next time! ;)
6 years ago





1 comment:
Hi Maria!
Did Chris tell you I saw him at the Bountiful rec center while you were at girls camp? What a good dad! My daughter has all three too - asthma, allergies and eczema. Did they give you a spacer for his inhaler? It makes it a lot easier to give. It's fun keeping up with your cute family. Hope all is well.
Post a Comment