Be not afraid, only believe.  From Creative LDS Images on facebook

Jun 25, 2012

Family Trek

Our ward decided to do a family TREK this year.  I'm so glad we got to be a participant in this awesome endeavor.  It started on Wednesday June 25.  We first drove down to Manti, Utah. On the way there Andrew got car sick and threw up all over his TREK clothes...of course I didn't bring any extra - they were all packed in the buckets.  I didn't foresee needing them before TREK even started!  So - as soon as we got to Manti - Chris let me go to the temple with the other adults in the ward, while he washed Andrew's clothes, car seat, and cleaned up the mess.  I have a fantastic husband! 


The temple was amazing.  It is one of the few live sessions left - and it is so worth the trip down to Manti.  It was incredible to feel the spirit of the temple before heading out on TREK.  It's a lot like what the pioneers tried to do - get their endowments before having to cross the plains.  

After temple we had lunch at the church where all the primary age kids were being babysat while we did temple work.  The kids were excited and happy - ready to get on the trail.

Andrew was obviously feeling better after the car ride!  And his outfit was all clean - Chris did an amazing hand wash job!!

We drove up to the beginning of the trail from here.  We separated into companies here. The excitement was still abuzz.. and the energy was high.  It was about 3pm and pretty hot...but we were still all excited to get started. 


 The trail got hot pretty fast.  The first day we hiked a lot of hills.  The kids were troopers though and just kept walking.  We got some camel packs for the kids - kid size - that they wore the whole time. It really helped them keep hydrated. I'm so grateful we had them.
 Chris packed Andrew on his back the entire 17 miles, over the course of the three days.  We knew Andrew wouldn't sit in the cart - or walk - and Chris didn't want me trying to carry him being pregnant and all.  It probably would have been more authentic...but we didn't want to risk me over doing it.  At times I felt like a wimp - but I wouldn't want to over do and risk it. So- once again - Chris proved to be an amazingly loving husband! 
The kids and I walked the whole way.  Eric and Abby were sure troopers - complaints were few and grumbling wasn't too bad. My main job on this trip was to take pictures.  I got almost 500 shots... and others in the company got that many or more - I will  have a lot of documentation to put together :) 
 
 Andrew was pretty darn cute on this trip.  He loved squirting everyone on this trip.  When we stopped for a while, we let him out of his backpack.  He went around squirting everyone. He was being so cute and helping this little girl wash her dirty hands.  They were having so much fun!

 Abby walking along.  I think she learned a lot on this trip - and I think she gained a lot of confidence about doing hard things.  She never complained - not once.  She was helpful and happy - a little scared at times when we got separated, but tried really hard to be brave. 

Chris and Andrew became best buds on this trip - between spending all day together and hanging out at night - Andrew got pretty attached to daddy. 
Chris was holding Andrew before the women's pull started.  He was going to take Andrew with him while I helped with the handcarts - but that ended up not being a possibility (him going on a mission and all)  The women were left with all the children, and handcarts to pull up the mountain.  When Chris left Andrew went into hysteria.  He cried "daddy, daddy, daddy.."  I seriously could not calm him down!  He was so upset.  And of course, Eric not understanding what was really going on and seeing Andrew in hysterics, he also became quite upset.  I felt like giving up!  I couldn't do this alone. I just wanted to cry with my boys and sit there and give up.  But that wasn't a possibility...so... on we went.

Abby helped on one of the handcarts during the women's pull.  I carried Andrew on my back, in the backpack, and Eric walked beside me.  I tried pushing a handcart from behind - but decided that wasn't the smartest thing when my heart rate went sky high...  I knew I wouldn't make it if I tried to push a handcart and carry Andrew.  Once again - I felt like such a wimp - but I also don't want to do anything to harm my baby. So - I let myself be a wimp and know that I can prove myself in other ways ;)
 We made it up the hill - and we did our best!  I'm so glad I don't have to go through this life without Chris!

  We filled up our water often - trying to keep hydrated as much as possible.  At night - at each stop the ward provided port-a-potties and huge water tanks.  Both of them were wonderful!!!!  :)


Andrew getting himself a drink.  He sure wants to be independent now a days!!!! He thinks he's at least 10 years old!
Someone in my ward took a shot of me brushing Abby's hair - I'm so glad I wasn't the only photographer!
 The second day we walked 7 miles.  The first half was mostly uphill... it was tough on everyone.  We didn't have to pull handcarts - it was tough enough without them.  (thank goodness) When we got to the second half - they gave our handcarts back and we pulled again.  It was so hot, and dry and dusty. It was a really tough day.   (oh and it was Chris and I's 10th Anniversary...Happy Anniversary Chris! It wasn't much of a celebration - but we'll celebrate another day I suppose!)

Andrew fell asleep in the backpack - and we didn't think anything of it.  Until he woke up and started throwing up.  They let me take him in a truck the last mile - and get him cooled off and try to rehydrate him.  He was fine after that - but we kept trying to keep water in him and keep him cool.  I felt so bad.  I imagine a lot of pioneers suffered heat stroke - I don't know how they managed with children on the trail.  It's so hard to comfort a sick child away from the comforts of home!

There was a cool spring at our second nights camp spot - we took the opportunity to soak our feet and cool ourselves off.  Andrew joined us - he was happy to cool off!  he also loved throwing sticks, rocks and anything he could find into the water.

 The third morning Andrew woke up happy again.  He felt better - we could tell! 
 Abby and Eric were in good spirits too!  Seriously they were such troopers!!!!
 I was so proud of my children on this TREK.  They were amazing and willing to help and just be happy, and not complain!  They even helped us wash dishes after each meal - I've got them trained well ;) 
 Andrew enjoyed breakfast the most - oatmeal with apples and raisins! His favorite!  The kids loved the pancakes. The kids didn't eat much food - they were too hot and tired most of the time - but breakfast was usually something they would eat - the food was fantastic!
 Once again - I'm so grateful I had camel packs for the kids - they sure saved them from getting heat stroke!
 Eric really enjoyed his - even though we spent a LOT of time in the bushes...  it was worth it!
 Every chance we got, we headed for the shade... it was so hot!

Our little pioneer family.
 
 When we got to base camp on Friday we got to use the left over water to wash our hair. Oh it was so cold...and it felt SO WONDERFUL!!!!  Even Andrew enjoyed it.  He wanted to do his hair twice, same with Eric.  As soon as their hair dried....  they went back for more!
 Here's Eric getting his hair washed.  Oh - I would have loved to just wash my whole body!!!!  But it felt so good to at least have clean hair.
 Friday night, Chris took the older two kids to the Manti pageant. I stayed behind with Andrew.  We hung out in the tent and I worked on the Trek highlight movie while Andrew just played.  He was happy to have a little space and time to himself.

Abby: 
Favorite parts:
Getting my hair washed and having a foot rub at the end.
I liked being together with the whole ward
Hardest parts:
walking! and going downhill.
favorite food: 
the chicken at the end

Eric:
Favorite parts:
the breaks in the shade!
Hardest part:
hiking up the hills
Favorite food:
oranges!

Maria:
Favorite part:
doing something hard with my family - and seeing them succeed.
Washing my hair
Hardest part:
being so tired and still having to keep going in the heat!
Heat, dust and being stinky!
Favorite food:
It was really all fantastic - but my favorite was chilli and fritos
and the oranges were out of this world!!

Chris:
Favorite part:
When the sun went down and we all felt like we could move again.
Hardest part:
Pulling the handcart in the sun in the middle of the day
Favorite food:
The breakfast burrito

Andrew:
Favorite part:
playing with the squirt bottle - and trying to squirt everyone
playing in the dirt, mud and water - and not getting in trouble for it :)
Hardest part:
Having to sit in the backpack all day long!
Favorite food:
Oatmeal with apples and raisins!

1 comment:

Lisa and Lance said...

So cool, looks like you guys had a ton of fun, even through the hot, dry conditions!! Such a great memory to have!