Be not afraid, only believe.  From Creative LDS Images on facebook

Mar 26, 2015

Red Mountain 50K

 In 2015 one of my many goals is to run a 50K.  I wasn't really planning on getting it in quite so soon...but life comes fast :)

One of our good running friends, and owner of Saint George Running Center, hosted a race called the Red Mountain 50K, 30K and Dirty Hurty Half.  It is a trail run up in Santa Clara.  It is in some beautiful country.  Chris and I have run a few times on some of the trails.

So - at first I decided to sign up for the 30K.  I figured that is doable, and I knew I could finish it.  I was really scared to commit to the 50K.  Thirty one miles is a lot of miles on trails!  :)  So - I signed up for the 30K, and Chris signed up for the 50K.  The day after we signed up... we ran 17 miles along the course to get a feel for the terrain.  I FELT SO GREAT.  By the time I finished the 17 miles, I knew I needed to go for the 50K. I'd just done a 30K and felt awesome...I may as well push myself a little more, right!

So - I drove back to the running center and upgraded to the 50K.  Boy am I glad I did. 

It was one of the hardest races I've ever done - and the MOST BEAUTIFUL race I've ever done.  I had so much fun running along the trails, going up and down the hillsides, and just being outdoors.  There were no cars, no spectators...and actually very few runners.  Only 130 in all - for all three races combined - and only 30 were running the 50K.

The race started out great.  We ran alongside the 30K and half marathon runners...they were going pretty fast and we had to keep our pace in check to make sure we didn't die!  They left the course after the first two laps...and we were all alone with the 50K people.  Chris and I ran together the first 17 miles - and then he was dealing with some leg cramping.  He stopped at the aid station for some help - and I ran on alone. 

It's strange to be completely alone in a race - and yet, it's very freeing!  I was all smiles.  I hurt - but I was excited to be out there.  My knees were screaming, my legs wanted to stop those last 5 miles...but I kept going and I kept smiling.  Mentally I was doing great. 

It ended up being just under 34 miles, instead of the 31 because of a miscalculation...but I'm sure that will get fixed next year.  Those last 3 miles were the death of me ;)  But I still finished in 7 hours and 10 minutes....well under the cut off of 7 1/2 hours.  :)  That was my goal...just finish and don't get a DNF.  (did not finish)..  Chris was just a little behind me with 7:48 - and they still let him finish and didn't give him a DNF - because it was longer than expected. 

There were only 7 females running the 50k.  I was #5...and the 2 after me did not finish.  So - yes, I was last...  and that might seem sad - but I have never been so happy to just finish in my life.  The finish line was this... no one cheering, no one spectating... just 2 volunteers...one running the clock, and one to put a finishing medal on.  With races like this - I don't run for the show - I run for myself.
It's a great run, and I can't wait to run it again.

I know I am a very competitive person, and I used to be so hard on myself when I didn't do "well"  But I'm trying to be nicer to myself and tell myself that I'm here to have a great time and to compete against myself.  I'm not the fastest, and I don't expect to win any races... but I can be happy with myself.  I can be happy with my best effort - and that was definitely my best effort on my first 50k. 

Yes, this is the start of a new running relationship - TRAIL and ULTRA RUNNING! :) 










No comments: