Be not afraid, only believe.  From Creative LDS Images on facebook

Aug 7, 2008

Making cupcake pops

Making BAKERELLA'S famous cupcake pops.... (pictured above are Bakerella's)

Abby and Eric helping me crumble the cake... what fun to destroy a perfectly good cake :)
I came across a website on my sister-n-laws blog called She's Got It All Now, before you go there, remember...it's addictive. If you have a weakness for cute crafts you may want to think twice before going here. I saw this absolutely adorable dessert when I went there two days ago... (yes it's only took me two days to HAVE to do this). I got the idea off of the She's Got It All site, and they got the idea from Bakerella. (she was featured on the Martha Stewart show making these cupcake pops) So this morning I decided to go to the store and pick up all the necessities. Here are the instructions if you end up wanting to make these fun fun cupcakes...but I have to warn you, they are a lot of work :) I will tell you an easier version at the end of my blog... I'll call it the cheater version and less calories :)


I didn't put mine on sticks because I didn't want to buy any from Roberts without a coupon. (am I my mother's daughter or what?) I used my coupon instead on the forms to make the cupcake shape. They are fondant cutters (not cookie cutters) So don't waste your time looking for a 1.25 inch cookie cutter. LOL.. yes, I did do that.

My neighbor even came over and helped me decorate while I dipped. :) I definitely suggest having a helper.. unless you want your kids to help, but it does get a bit messy. And the white chocolate definitely took longer to harden up, just keep that in mind.


And here's my cheater version!!! Can you tell the difference? There wasn't much difference in the look of the end product, but they are definitely different! Easier, faster and friendlier on the diet (but not by much). Here's what I did. ...

I baked mini muffins using my mini muffin tin and the cake mix of my choice. Let them cool, dipped them in the chocolate like the others and I was done :) Ya, it cuts out a lot of the steps. Now, you don't get the scrumptious gooey center like the others that are mixed with frosting, but they do still taste oh so good. And I'd have to say with small kids running around, faster is better at this stage of life. Although I do still want to try the red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, that just sounds divine. But perhaps next time. I just wanted to see what these mini cupcakes would look and taste like. I was very pleased. They are more uniform and they are great for beginner dippers like me :)
Here are the two side by side. The one on the right is mine, the one on the left is Bakerella's recipe. As you can see her's is much more moist, and it is delicious. But if you don't have them to compare side by side or bite to bite... mine are a tasty treat too!
Oh, and what do you do with all the leftover chocolate you've just melted??? Drizzle it on some pretzels of course! MY FAVORITE!!!

4 comments:

The Tilley Turf said...

Those are super cool, Maria! You are so brave to try complicated new things like that!

Lisa and Lance said...

Yes everyone, they do taste as good as they look! Good Job Maria! You are so creative!

Tammy said...

Maria!! Your photos are amazing! The cupcakes look amazing! And tasted even better! (My next lesson at your house will be on picture taking. I hope you're ready.)

Heather said...

I wish you were my mom! Abby and/or Eric will be such great baker's! Those look YUMMY.