Well my birthday started out like many of the rest of my adult birthdays, I woke up to beautiful flowers from Chris, and some DS games, and some exercise towels (I've been complaining about how much I sweat when I run on the treadmill) and some yummy chocolate - that's for incentive to workout LOL -
I went to a presidency meeting to start the day off, then we headed to the dentist for Abby's appointment. (sounds like a great birthday so far huh? Well, it get's better!) Abby has a few small cavities, so we'll be back to the dentist next week - so exciting! After the dentist I was supposed to go to lunch with a friend, but that was canceled last minute because of some difficulties she was going through. So, I had chicken nuggets and peaches with the kids.
Abby and I played outside while Eric took a nap. It was such a beautiful, warm day and it was fun to be with Abby.After nap time we went to the rec center to go swimming. No, my favorite thing is not to get into my swimsuit on my birthday... but I knew the kids would love it and it was a great way to spend a happy day. My parents and Christa and Mckenna and Mia came with us. We had a great time swimming. The plan was to go to my mom's house for dinner after swimming, she made a wonderful dinner and my favorite german chocolate cake with lots and lots of nuts. I was hungry and excited to go have dinner. But... once again plans changed quickly. Abby and the other girls were playing on the climbing wall at the rec center before we went home. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but we have a few clues from what little people did see. I guess Abby was at the top of the climbing wall and another young girl tried to go under her to get to the top of the wall. It pushed Abby off and she somehow hit her head on the wall and fell to the mat. When I picked her up her head was gashed open. The little girl felt so bad, as did her mother. Abby was a little histerical, understandably! We tried to calm her down while we tried to figure out what to do next. We decided to take her to the ER at Primary Children's hospital because they have some of the best doctors, and hopefully that will mean less of a scar... hopefully! So, mom and I jumped in my van and I drove while mom Jacobson held Abby in the back seat (with seatbelts on of course). Abby said it felt like we were driving to Mexico it took so long (not sure where that came from!) She also asked my mom "am I going to the hospital to die?" We chuckled and said no, you aren't hurt that bad! We got to the ER and Abby had calmed down quite a bit, but was still very nervous. Chris got off work and came up to join us... that was a nice b-day present, I got to see Chris for a few hours!!! :)
They took a look at her gash and put a bandaid on with some numbing agent. Then said it would be about an hour wait. Mom and I were looking grand in our wet hair and flip flops in the middle of the winter! Ya! At least I was dressed...and not in my swimsuit, that would have been very imbarrassing indeed. So, we waited around, and they put us in a room to wait after a while. I think they make you wait and wait and wait and wait just so you have time to calm down and let the child get used to the fact that they might be living in this room! Seriously, we waited forever.
They finally came in and did the stitches. We had the choice of putting Abby out or letting her try and just suffer through the few shots at first.
If any of you knew Abby about 2 years ago, you would know how she used to go bizerk at the site of a doctor or anything that was different. We would have had to put her out when we first got there. But she was so incredibly brave and we decided to try and let her go without putting her under. She held still and was so strong and brave, I was amazed! They put in five stitches, and then gave her a Popsicle. They also had a lady come in before the stitches to explain what was going to happen - she brought Abby a hospital doll, that Abby got to draw a face on and then watch the lady put stitches in. It helped a lot for Abby to know what was going to happen I think. She loved all the stuff she got... sticker, water gun (syringe they used to wash the cut), doll, Popsicle, peice of cake, and a crayon bandaid. They are very good with children, as you can see. I was so proud that she did so well. She's really growing up!!!So, at 10:30 I finally got home, and had some leftover birthday dinner and fell exhausted into bed. I ate my birthday cake this morning for breakfast... I deserved it :) LOL. What a memorable day! At least it's over. Can't wait for next years birthday.... I wonder what will happen then. Or maybe I shouldn't jinx myself just yet!!!
6 years ago





4 comments:
Wow Abby, nice battle wound! Sounds like quite an adventure! Happy Birthday Maria! What an interesting day! Hope you are all doing better now!
What a way to remember your birthday! I'm so glad that Abby was brave and calm during the hospital visit. I'm not sure I would have done so well! She must have been jealous of Jenny and her stictches.
Oh Abby!! I'm so sorry! I think she just likes wearing bandaids on her forehead. I'm glad it turned out okay. Happy Birthday, Ri! Sorry it wasn't more exciting!!!
Sheesh, that was a long day! Glad everyone was ok in the end. Abby is a brave girl! Glad those beautiful blue eyes are OK! :)
A birthday in the life of motherhood.
At least you will have another next year!?
Post a Comment