Be not afraid, only believe.  From Creative LDS Images on facebook

Jan 21, 2010

Never a dull moment!


Tuesday night was quite eventful. It was about 8 pm - I was in my pj's, the kids were getting ready for bed. I was looking forward to a nice quiet, early to bed, evening. But - as luck would have it, it was not to be... Eric was playing with some black beans I had given him earlier that day. He had been putting them in his cement truck to play with. I was in my bedroom, and Eric comes in and says "look what I can do" and he turns his head and a black bean falls out of his ear! Oh great! He keeps trying to dig at one ear so I ask him if he has more beans in his ears. He says yes. I had him lay down and tried to see in his ear with a flashlight - I couldn't really see much of anything but a deep black hole. (it really didn't help that a black bean is black!) But in one ear - the one he says still has a bean in - it does reflect light when I shine the light in it - so I figured he really did have a black bean in there. I called Chris - who was still at work - and asked what I should do, I called Kidscare, and I called my in-laws. Everyone seemed to think I should just take him in and get it checked out. So, I put my clothes back on, and headed to Kidscare. Chris met me there when he got off work at 8:30.

Eric was amazingly good at the doctors office. He let them take his weight, and he let them check his heart and breathing... all without crying (truly a miracle). The nurse came in and put the light in his ears. She says - "yep there it is" (in the same ear Eric had said it was in for me and the same ear I thought I saw something reflecting). So, then the doctor comes in. He checks both ears, and says "there isn't a bean." And we say - "really?" and the nurse says "are you sure?" And he checks again and says - "nope, no bean. But there is a big ball of wax." The nurse says, "let me check again" and she does - and says - your right, it is just wax. Alrighty... so we came to insta care to make sure a ball of wax wasn't a bean... worse things could happen right? At least Eric is ok, and he's learned not to stick foreign objects in his ears (at least I sure hope so). And -amazing of all amazing things... We were in and out of there within 45 minutes! Now that was another miracle - I still got to go to bed before 9:30!!

Now I will never eat another black bean without thinking of Eric popping one out of his ear as a trick! Oh - I just can't wait to have another boy to keep me on my toes :)

2 comments:

Lisa and Lance said...

Oh my goodness...seriously?? What a crazy night. I am sure Eric thought he was pretty cool with his new trick! I am glad it all turned out okay and only 45 mins....that must be a record for sure!

Jim, Becky, and Kids said...

Don't you just love those late night/ weekend trips to the doctor that prove to be nothing at all? I think every seasoned mommy has to have several of those!