Be not afraid, only believe.  From Creative LDS Images on facebook

Mar 31, 2010

Week of Art Projects

Last week I made a really big push to get all my art projects done. It was a busy week, and I just finished up my last art project on my list yesterday. I hope that after the baby I can still do art - but I know it won't be consistent!
I started with the baby's dresser. It was white with pink and blue handles- it would have worked if I had run out of time - but I'm glad I painted it. I found some paint at Home Depot that someone had gotten the wrong color mixed - so it was only a dollar for the whole can! It was a beautiful chocolate brown. My new favorite!


I turned the white dresser into a chocolate dresser...and I swear the paint even smelled like chocolate. I must need more chocolate in my diet! No need to worry - I DID NOT TASTE the paint!
Then I tackled another project that seriously could have waited until next year - but Abby insisted that the baby needed an Easter Bunny this year - so I got the old Easter Bunny i found at DI last year out and gave it a new paint job. I wasn't too fond of this one - that's why it was only .75 cents at DI!!! They were just trying to get rid of it!

He ended up having to be a pretty dark color just to hide all that black outlining that used to be on him. But I think he turned out quite nicely...And he fits into the family perfectly! :)
My next project was a backdrop I've been asked to do for Girl Scouts. They are having a luau in May - and I knew if I didn't do the project now, there was no getting it done. So I just tackled it. I bought 3 colors of butcher paper about 10 feet long each. That's a lot of paper :) I had to hold it down with logs, because it was a bit windy the day I decided to get this done.
This is how it started..... blue, white, and brown...
And this is how it ended up after spray painting... blue sky, blueish water, and sandy brown...

I also made a palm tree and some shells to put on it. You may not be able to see the vision here - but I didn't want to put it all together until I absolutely have to at the luau...so you'll just have to wait to see what it looks like all put together and with cute Girl Scouts standing in front of it with their leis! So.... until May!
My most favorite project this last week were these cuties. I had some scrap wood that was in another person's DI pile... and I saved them to make these!! When I saw these 12 by 12 flat boards, I knew they would work great for a painting project. This is the first time I've used acrylics to paint with - I think it turned out nicely! I might use them again ;) They dry so fast and it didn't take nearly as long as oils. I like how they turned out.
These will go in the baby's room with the giraffe I already painted. The giraffe is much bigger- but these will be a cute addition to the baby's room I think. When I get them on the wall and everything in it's place, I'll take a picture of that too. I've never been able to decorate a baby's room- this is a first for me! It has been so fun. Here are some closer pictures of these guys....LION
ELEPHANT

TURTLE

Yesterday Lisa and I made a diaper cake for Jenny's shower on Thursday- I think it turned out quite cute. I tried to steal one of Eric's bears to put on top.... it was ok, until he noticed it last night! I am going to have to hide it somehow, he's suddenly become amazingly attached to the bear he used to never notice! :) That's life huh??
so- one more busy week in the books! Another 4 coming right on it's heels! (I hope to make that only 2, and take a break for a few days to recover from my busy spring - but we'll see how that goes!)

Wish me luck... it's sewing week again!

3 comments:

Ann said...

You amaze me all the time Maria! I loved it all.

Tammy said...

Maria these projects are amazing! Look at what you are accomplishing. I'm so impressed. I love the chocolate colored dresser. I love oops paint!

The Tilley Turf said...

Wow, that Easter bunny basket was scary looking! It probably feels much better, now that it's all cute and fluffy. Great job on all your projects, you are sure getting a lot done!