I've seen quite a few of these car seat covers, especially this winter with the flu and all going around. I wanted to make one - but most of them are made with heavy fabric for winter covers, and I haven't really liked a lot of the tutorials I have found - so I'm making my own :) I got the idea from this blog that I adore and follow - make it and love it
I just would have liked more specific instructions and sizes, so I am making this tutorial - the first of it's kind on my blog!
Start with 1 yard each of two coordinating or complimentary fabrics. I used light weight cotton, since I'm having an April baby - and I'm hoping it will be getting warm soon!! I used a yard of 45" wide fabrics -
1- cut both pieces of fabric down to 39 inches by 31 inches (save scraps for straps)
2-pin with right sides together - pin corners knowing that you will be cutting them off
3- using a plate or bowl, trace on fabric to make nice round corners 4 - cut both fabrics together making rounded corners.
5- sew around all sides 1/2" seam - leaving an opening 3-5" for turning fabric right sides out.
6 - notch curves, being careful not to clip sewing, so your corners will lay flat
7- turn fabric right side out - press
8 - hand stitch opening to close itNow you are ready for straps. You can use ribbon, or button straps, or velcro straps - whatever your preference is. I chose to use a button because I don't want my cover to come off too easily.
1-cut your scraps to 5" by 7 1/2 " You will need two of these
2 - fold in half, right sides together, press
3- sew with 1/2" seam - leaving 1-2" opening for turning4- clip corners so they don't create bulk
5- turn right sides out, press flat
6- hand stitch opening
7 - measure your strap on your handle and see if it will fit ok
8- stitch buttonhole about 1 inch from edge of strap (you can change it if your button is smaller or bigger) Make buttonhole long enough for your button9- place button about 1/2 inch from edge on opposite side -but make sure this will be the right tightness on your individual car seat before sewing on buttons.
10- pin straps on about 17 1/2" from ends (length wise) and about 11" in from both sides (width wise) (this is measured from outer edge)
11-try on car seat to make sure they fit right and adjust as necessary to where you want them to lay on your handle.
12 - open up straps and make sure they are pinned well in the right place.
13- sew straps on with a straight line in the center of your strap (about 3 1/4" from ends)
There you go! You now have an adorable car seat cover to keep the sun, germs and dirty onlookers hands out :)
I couldn't stop there though... I also made a matching car seat cover for the inside - I used Simplicity pattern number 4636. I have to warn you though - on the cover of the pattern it looks like the pattern is for an infant car seat - but when I got it made - it didn't fit to any of the straps on my car seat. So I had to add a few more button holes and change where they put the side seams a bit :) it wasn't too hard - but it did take a while to figure out. If you want to borrow the pattern, I made sure I put the right measurements on there!Now I can't wait to bring home my little guy in his new looking car seat! :) Yeah!!!! We are getting there - less than 6 weeks now!
6 years ago





4 comments:
Maria you are amazing! This is a great tutorial. And I love the fabrics. Almost makes me wish I needed one.
Ria - that turned out soooo good! Can't believe all you have done lately.
That looks amazing Maria! I can't wait to see it with your little boy in it!! You did a great job!
Wait a minute, did you make the car seat cover as well?
Post a Comment