Andrew got his tubes in this morning. We had to be at the surgical center at 6:15...oh so early! I thought Andrew would be so upset because they told us he wouldn't be able to eat - he had to be fasting (only from 1am on thank goodness - and like a knowing little guy he woke up at 12:45 and drank 3 oz... had to squeeze it in). He was not cranky at all - in fact he was so charming while we waited and waited. They gave him a little medicine to calm him down about a half hour before taking him to surgery - so he wouldn't be upset when they took him from us. They said it would probably make him drowsy or fall asleep...but it did the opposite. He was happy and playing. He couldn't stand up though, he was so loopy. It was funny to watch his response.
The doctor took him from us back to the surgery room. That was such a weird experience - to let your child go in the hands of a stranger. You almost just want to run after them and follow them wherever they go. It is very hard to relinquish that control and feel helpless. They sent us to the waiting room to wait for him. It took all of 30 minutes before we could hear Andrew screaming in the back... guess he woke up pretty quick when they gave him the recovery shot! He was pretty confused as to where he was - and he wouldn't calm down until we got him out of the doctors office and away from all the chaos.He did calm down for a drink from his bottle - for a few minutes. When we got home, he was just happy to be here, and in mommy's arms. My mom stayed with Eric and Abby and got Abby off to school while we were gone - thanks!
As soon as we got home, I called the doctor to make an appointment - not for Andrew- but for Eric. He was coughing so hard last night, and was really struggling with breathing.
I put Andrew down for a nap at 9, went to the doctor at 10 and had my mom come here to babysit so Andrew could stay asleep. It turned out that Eric has croup... I guess it was his turn! They gave him a strong steroid pill that should help him out immensely (it already has started working its wonder)! Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon.
Andrew slept until 1:30 - seriously that is the LONGEST nap he's EVER had in his entire 10 months of life. I kept checking on him to make sure he was breathing. He was... just sleeping peacefully. He's been pretty calm today - he has thrown up a few times, and he hasn't really been interested in eating - but he doesn't seem to be in pain or anything. We'll see how tomorrow goes :)
Thank you everyone for your prayers and concern. You are wonderful support!!!
So far this week we've been to the doctor 4 times... and Abby has an appointment tomorrow... so that will make 5 visits in 5 days... not a good record!!
Here's a fun video to lighten the mood... this is Andrew's mode of transportation! Eric LOVES to help him walk around, Andrew thinks its so fun. Who needs to learn to walk when you have a big brother willing to carry you??!! :) too fun!
6 years ago





2 comments:
Okay Andrew in that little gown has got to be the most adorable thing I have ever seen. He is so tiny in it! So cute. I am glad things went well and hopefully they will only continue to get better for you. The doctor 5 times in one week is never fun! P.s. I love the movie on your last post of Andrew saying Mom. That lip thing he does is so awesome. What a cute kid!
I loved the gown too! I hope he has continued to sleep well since his surgery. I feel terrible that I didn't ask how Eric was doing when I saw you at Mom's today. How dumb of me. I didn't even notice if he was there, I guess he was since Abby and Andrew were. I hope that he is doing well too! Maybe this week will be doc free!!! Please post if it is.
Post a Comment