I was given the opportunity this week to prepare a combined lesson for my Young Women class on the subject of Easter. I have been pondering and praying for guidance! First off, I gave the combined lesson two weeks ago. I had a wonderful spiritual experience in preparing for that one - in January as I was looking through old Ensign magazines and getting rid of them, I decided to go through and tear out the pictures that I liked for my gospel picture kit. I love using pictures for stories, so I thought that would be a good idea. So, as I was thumbing through these magazines, I kept running across articles about how to study the scriptures. I found about 3 that really struck me as profound. I tore those out too - and by the time I was done, I knew I needed to give a lesson on scripture study!
They are:
Scripture Stories as Patterns for our Lives
Likening the Scriptures to our Personal Lives
Ten Scripture Study Tools
I used these to come up with my own lesson on scripture study. I made a handout of 13 scripture study tools to use. (since this year's theme is the 13th article of faith!)
I only got to tool number three before my time ran out... bummer... so - the presidency decided that I could continue my lesson - just using the Easter story to explain the other tools. I took on the challenge!
It was a challenge. I seriously have spent this ENTIRE week pouring over the Easter story in the four gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke, and St. John. I have studied, prayed and studied more. I have NEVER in my life knew how much I was missing from that story. It was an incredible week of preparation. I'm happy to say - that today (which is now Friday) I am completely done with my lesson. I wanted to share some study tools that helped me with this journey.
Perhaps if you have some spare time on Easter Sunday or before, you might enjoy this same experience. It was a HUGE testimony builder. And I am SO grateful I was given the opportunity to teach this wonderful lesson. I keep praying that my mind will be able to work with my mouth in portraying the things I've learned. It's been such a beautiful, personal experience, that I am not sure how to share it. I wish I could share EVERYTHING I learned, but I'm afraid it would take too much time!! So - here is how you can have this experience.
FIRST - I used an Institute outline of scriptures to learn about the last week of Christ's life, starting with Palm Sunday and his Triumphal Entry. ( look at the end of this post if you want the scripture outline of this)
Then I went back and decided I was going to have to focus on one event - a whole week of this magnitude just couldn't be condensed into a 40 minute lesson!!!! So I decided to focus mostly on the trial and crucifixion of Christ. I found a wonderful study guide for that on a different blog.
It is located on the REDHEADED HOSTESS blog. Download this, print the outline and write out the answers as you go through it. It is an amazing, amazing experience. It really opened my eyes!
Then, I had to go through and figure out what examples I could use for my study tools. This came pretty easily after studying so much - it was what I was already doing - but as I wrote down the examples I realized how deep these scriptures are and how often I miss SO MUCH! I made another handout for that -
And then, after you have studied and read - watch this video. (watch it on Youtube.com for a bigger picture - for some reason blogger cuts off the right side!)
I honestly have a much deeper testimony of the sacrifice that was made for me. I also have a stronger testimony of the magnitude of what really happened and why. What a wonderful, wonderful journey this has been this week. I hope your Easter is just as wonderful!
If you don't have a lot of time for study - at least use the red headed hostess outline - it is beautiful and you will NOT regret the time it takes, I promise!!!
Here are the scriptures outlining the whole week from the institute manual...
| THE WEEK OF THE ATONING SACRIFICE | Matthew | Mark | Luke | John |
| FIRST DAY Palm Sunday | ||||
| Jerusalem and Bethany, Judea Nisan/April Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem | ||||
| Certain Greeks Visit Christ—a Voice from Heaven | ||||
| Return to Bethany | ||||
| SECOND DAY Monday | ||||
| Cursing of the Barren Fig Tree | ||||
| Second Cleansing of the Temple | ||||
| Return to Bethany | ||||
| THIRD DAY Tuesday | ||||
| Discourse on Faith | ||||
| Question of Authority | ||||
| Parable of the Two Sons | ||||
| Parable of the Royal Marriage Feast | ||||
| “Who Is Christ’s Father?” | ||||
| The Widow’s Mite | ||||
| Olivet Discourse | ||||
| Parable of the Ten Virgins | ||||
| Parable of the Entrusted Talents | ||||
| The Inevitable and Final Judgment | ||||
| Jesus’ Betrayal Foretold | ||||
| The Plot Against Jesus | ||||
| Judas Arranges Betrayal | ||||
| FIFTH DAY Thursday | ||||
| Arrangements for the Passover Meal | ||||
| Strife over Precedence in the Passover Chamber | ||||
| Passover Meal—Introduction of the Sacrament | ||||
| Jesus Indicates the Betrayer | ||||
| Apostles Express Loyalty | ||||
| Jerusalem, Judea Discourse About the Comforter | ||||
| They Sing a Hymn—Proceed to the Mount of Olives | ||||
| Their Relationship to Christ and the World; His Death Explained | ||||
| High Priestly Prayer | ||||
| Agony in Gethsemane | ||||
| THE WEEK OF THE ATONING SACRIFICE | Matthew | Mark | Luke | John |
| SIXTH DAY Friday | ||||
| The Betrayal by Judas | ||||
| Jesus Questioned by Annas | ||||
| Peter Denies Knowing Jesus | ||||
| Formal Trial and Condemnation | ||||
| Judas Iscariot’s Death | ||||
| Again Before Pilate | ||||
| Superscription on the Cross | ||||
| Second Utterance from the Cross | ||||
| Fifth Statement | ||||
| His Side Pierced | ||||
| THE WEEK OF THE ATONING SACRIFICE | Matthew | Mark | Luke | John |
| SEVENTH DAY Saturday | ||||
| Guards Are Placed at the Tomb | ||||
| THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK Sun. | ||||
| The Tomb Is Opened | ||||
| Mary Tells Peter and John | ||||
| Peter, Mary, and John Visit the Tomb | ||||
| Christ Appears to the Other Women | ||||
| Chief Priests Told of Resurrection by Guards | ||||
| Two Disciples See the Savior While En Route to Emmaus | ||||
| Appears unto Peter Appears to all Apostles Except Thomas |





1 comment:
I apologize for using a comment to ask this; I couldn't find a way to email you.
I'm making my daughters Bible study notebooks for Christmas. I loved your 13 tools, but the examples weren't all relevant for us because we're not Mormon, so I've adapted them for our use as Protestants. Would it be all right to post the adapted version on my blog so my readers can download it? (I would not be charging, and the footer would say that it's "adapted from" and have the address for your blog.)
Post a Comment