Be not afraid, only believe.  From Creative LDS Images on facebook

Apr 9, 2012

Our Grand Spring Break

This year for Spring Break the kids and I decided to leave Chris behind to work so we could go play (sorry Chris). On Wednesday we headed down to Cedar City. The car ride was ok - other than Andrew throwing up and having to clean out the car on the side of the freeway so we could all breathe again! That night we stayed with my brother's family.

Thursday we woke up early and headed to Zion National Park with my brother's family and my parents. (My parents actually drove with me - actually my dad drove the whole way and I got to sit in the back with the kids!)

We hiked the Hidden Canyon trail - only about a mile...but it was steep!

I put Andrew in a backpack and hiked. The kids hiked with their cousins. Lori (being 8 months pregnant went on a bus tour while we hiked....smart girl!)
This was the scariest part. I clenched the chain! I was so grateful that it was there. I don't think I would have been so nervous if Andrew hadn't have been on my back. That's what made me so nervous. My legs were seriously shaking by the time I got done....and then having to think about going back around on the way down really made me nervous! I was wishing Chris were there to take Andrew!!!

Here is Abby, Dave and my dad starting on the trail... after that I just put the camera away so I could hold on the chain with both hands.The view at the top was AWESOME... and I didn't even make it the whole way.
Here are some stairs we hiked up - I can't believe how much effort has gone into these trails!!
Bryce and Abby having a GREAT time!

This was after the hike waiting for the bus....

Our next stop was the Coral Pink Sand dunes. Oh I LOVE the SAND DUNES!!! The sand feels like you are at the beach. If only..... we were.... :)
It was pretty chilly and windy so we didn't stay long...but enough time to get sore calves from trying to walk around in it.
My dad and brother - two peas in a pod!
Abby threw up here... do you see a trend in our trip yet??

We stopped at a park in Kanab... so nice to have lots of stops!
Next we stopped in Page, Arizona at Lake Powell. We walked across the bridge to see the huge dam. Andrew loved it - he's so not afraid of heights!!! (But I am!)
Andrew and Logan had a great time looking down to the water.
Thursday night we celebrated my mom's birthday at a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant. It was delicious... and then we got a good nights sleep in a hotel :) Andrew only woke up twice... :(

Friday we started the day off by taking a peek at Horseshoe bend in Arizona. It was such a freaky drop off...WITHOUT ANY RAILINGS. We had to really just hold onto the kids so we felt a little safer... but just a little. Eric was sure drawn to the edge...it made me so nervous! I think he REALLY wanted to just throw off a rock, but we wouldn't let him... mean mom! :)

The kids were having fun here - they wanted to collect rocks ;)
More driving...and more driving... and Andrew threw up again (3 whole bottles worth of milk and all of his breakfast....) on the way to GRAND CANYON!!!
We got our first glimpse of the grand canyon!!!
Andrew and Logan enjoying the view and staying out of the cold wind!
Eric and McKayla near the edge.... :)
We met my other brother here with his family.
The nicest thing at the National Parks we visited were the buses that are free! It's great to have a shuttle to get around and not have to worry about parking and fighting the crowd so much.

The Canyon was so beautiful. I didn't use my nice camera very much - I was too nervous trying to keep my kids away from the edge, especially without Chris! Friday night we braved the cold weather and slept at a campground. We decided to set up our tent and put all the stuff in it and just sleep in the car. It was much warmer! The kids did pretty well and Andrew only woke up once! (boy was he mad when he woke up in the middle of the night!!!)

Saturday morning we woke up to a nice crisp morning...
Andrew was finally entertained by his cousin -thanks SiSi for your help!!
I absolutely LOVE Andrew in this hat... I think it is so adorable. I will be sad when he grows out of it!
The Easter Bunny hid some eggs at the campground and the kids had a great time searching for them....
Logan did NOT like me taking pics of him.. he kept trying to turn away... :) Oh well - I got a good profile :)
Andrew enjoying his Easter treats...
Instead of going on the long hike with everyone, Abby, Andrew and I decided to stay back and hang out a little farther from the edge of the canyon so I could let Andrew drive his stroller around for a while. He needed to get out of it for a while and he didn't want me holding his hand in a vice grip anymore! We both needed a break!
I loved the train tracks - I would love to ride the train here.. I think that would be so neat!

I finally got my camera out - but I don't know that I'm the best photographer yet... I have a LOT to learn!
Eric loved all the sticks and rocks and feathers.
Bryce and Hunter - best buds (crazy kids!)
the awesome canyon... well it doesn't look too awesome with this photo - but it really was!
me and my kids with my mom!
The crazy cousins! They had a great time together.

I had to take a picture of the bus just for Andrew. He was seriously so in love with the buses, just ask anyone that was there... Bus was Andrew's favorite word the whole trip!
And on our way out, we took a picture by the Grand Canyon entrance.
Saturday night we drove back to Cedar City. We got in about 11pm, and just crashed into bed. Luckily Andrew slept all night... thank you, thank you!

Sunday morning we woke up early and got ready for church. We got to go to church with my brother and his family. Andrew had a REALLY hard time - so I spent more time in the hall than anything.

Then we drove four more hours home...that was a long drive! At least Andrew slept 3 of the 4 hours - I was very grateful!

When we got home, we got to enjoy some Easter fun. Eric got a new lego set.
Eric and Andrew got new capes - Little e and Awesome Andrew! (on the back of both capes is batman)
Abigail got a new doll bed that I made.

It was a whirlwind of a trip, and hard without Chris - but it was a memory maker for sure!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was such a fun trip!! I'm glad you guys were able to come, though I'm sure it would've been a lot more fun for you minus the throw-up! You took some great pictures. I'm going to have to steal some. :) Hope you guys are doing okay and tell Abby way to go with the ear piercing!

AnJ. said...

Your trip looks like lots of fun. I don't know how you did it without Chris. You're amazing. :)
I'm loving Abby's doll bed. Nice work.

I want to learn to take better pictures too. We should take a class somewhere.