Be not afraid, only believe.  From Creative LDS Images on facebook

Oct 30, 2013

First Swm Meet

Abigail had her first swim meet on Friday and Saturday October 25th and 26th.  She did great.

200 meter Freestyle:  Her first heat didn't go so well.  Everyone in her heat was brand new - first timers!  Which was great -except that one person false started.  The officials rang the buzzer to tell everyone to stop...but none of them knew what the buzzer meant - so they all kept going :)  The officials had to grab some of the kids feet when they got to other side of the pool...scaring them to death!  They all got back on the starting blocks, and tried again, but by this time Abby was in tears.  She doesn't do so well when she feels like she messes up!  I found her in the locker room crying afterwards - and she was ready to go home and give up!!  I felt bad - but we talked through it and Chris talked to her after I did and we finally got her to give it another shot.

50 meter Breast stroke: 1:14:48  We finally talked Abby into trying this one out - after a long pep talk! She did much better, and there were no false starts, that helped a lot. 

50 meter Back stroke: 0:47  I took the kids home before this one, the boys were getting restless, and it was getting late.  Chris stayed to watch her swim.  He said she did awesome on this one.  She was going so fast, she didn't realize the pool edge was coming up.  She ran right into it.  But she kept going, turning around and finishing second in her heat.  It made her feel a lot better about the night.

50 meter Fly: 1:20  Chris took Abigail to her swim meet on Saturday.  He actually volunteered to be an official to make sure the swimmers touch the side of the pool and to be a back up timer in case the stop clock didn't work.  Abby had a lot more confidence coming into Saturday and had a much better time swimming.

100 Back stroke: 1:40:72  She got first in her heat on this one, but also got disqualified for not touching the wall correctly.  Oh well - this was a great learning experience for her! 

50 Free 45:99  This was her last race.  She ended up getting second in her heat.

Overall, Abby didn't win any events, or even place in any events in her age group; but she had a good time and learned a lot.  She overcame some challenges and fears and now she realizes that she can do this! It was so fun to watch her swim.  It's amazing when my kids can do things I can't even begin to do - it really amazes me.  It's so fun to watch!  I can't wait to see her swim again.  Hopefully next time I can get a better picture - I was also learning at this first meet!!! 



No comments: