Be not afraid, only believe.  From Creative LDS Images on facebook

Aug 22, 2014

Our new furry friend

 Abby has been doing a 4-H dog training class all summer.  She is totally in love with dogs.  She has always wanted a dog.  We have never been too inclined to have one, especially seeing as how Eric tested positive to being allergic to dogs when we went to an allergist.  When he was young, animal hair really seemed to bother him, making his eyes itchy, red and swollen. It also seemed to flair his eczema.  So, we've never thought it would be wise to have a dog. 

And then.... life happened, and the kids begged. :)  I guess we are turning into softies or something.  I'm sorry for all those I've judged along the way - thinking that it was easy to say no to begging children! 

Abby has worked really hard learning how to teach a dog, and be around dogs.  She has learned so much, and has become so comfortable around them. She's been training a Shetland Sheepdog named Tytus.  He is one of her teachers dogs.  She has always had a knack with animals.  She purely loves them!  Being in the 4-H class has introduced us to the world of dog lovers. I can't say I've been in that circle much in my life!  But - these people and their dogs took us in like we were family.  They have taught all of us more about taking care of and interacting with dogs.
 Also Patti, Abigails teacher, is amazing!  She does all sorts of volunteer work for rescuing shelties, and she has two therapy sheltie dogs.  She is an amazing woman and dog trainer.  She has really helped us prepare for possibly owning our own dog.  Consider - we didn't take the decision to try owning a dog lightly!  Patti has been working on us for about 4 months now!  :)  Working us into feeling comfortable with the idea.  We still weren't sure - it's a big life change. 
About a month ago, Patti had a lady call her and she wanted to find a good home for her 3 year old Sheltie.  Her name is Rachel.  She is very well trained and is the sweetest dog.  She doesn't jump on you, she is so patient and sweet with the children, she loves to be outside and she is very calm.  We weren't sure a Sheltie would work for Eric.  We took her for a day to see if he would have any reactions.  He actually didn't.  So, now we are trying her out for a few weeks while her owners are on vacation.  It will be a good test to see if she fits in our family and if Eric can handle the dander and fur. 

I honestly didn't think we would ever consider being dog owners.  In fact, Chris and I used to list off reasons why we would never own a dog.  I guess we all need a slice of humble pie once in a while! I think it just goes to show that with the right person teaching you, and showing you and just being a good example - anything is possible!!! 

We will keep you posted.

1 comment:

AnJ. said...

Go Abby! You chose a beautiful dog. I'm hoping she can stay because if you have to send her back, you're going to have some very unhappy kids.